Three people killed in head-on collision in County Runnels | New
Editor’s Note: The intersection on Highway 153 about 6 miles west of Winters was the site of numerous accidents, several of which resulted in fatalities. This intersection has four roads meeting in a triangular area near an almost 90 degree curve (see photo above). The curve is about 6 miles west of Winters on Hwy 153, which goes to Wingate and eventually meets Hwy 70 north towards Sweetwater.
Google Maps gives highway 153 as THE possibility to travel from the Texas enclave to central Texas (ie Lubbock to Austin – See 2nd photo above).
The road through Winters is 9 miles shorter, but only 2 minutes faster, according to Google Maps, than going from Sweetwater to Abilene on I-20, then getting off at Coleman on Hwy 84, to continue towards Brownwood and Austin. ***5 h 58 min (373 miles) VS 6 hours (382 miles)*** Before drivers used navigation “aids” in vehicles and on devices, they traveled from Sweetwater to Abilene on I-20, before heading south. (Read more below …)
This information on Google Maps has been of economic benefit to Winters, as additional travelers stop in their path; there is even a new convenience store / truck stop at the first intersection in the town of Winters. NEVERTHELESS….
Google Maps …..
- do NOT warn drivers of the narrow, winding road;
- do NOT tell them to watch for deer and pigs on Route 153;
- DO NOT tell them that there is no shoulder on many parts of this road;
- do NOT warn them of the large amount of NO PASSING zones which are marked with solid yellow lines;
- NOT advising them to “maybe choose to go slower than the speed limit” in many parts of this freeway, which of course lengthens the trip;
- NOT tell them cruise control is probably not a good plan on this highway (Lack driver education is also an issue);
- DO NOT warn drivers of the number of fatalities that have occurred along that route;
- SHOULD NOT BE THE ONLY TOOL USED TO DECIDE WHICH ROUTE TO TAKE.
Below is the report on the accident that occurred near this intersection on Sunday evening killing three people:
Three people died, three others were injured in a two vehicle wreck on Sunday evening, June 13, at 10:19 p.m., six (6) miles west of Winters on State Highway 153.
According to a report from the Texas Department of Public Safety, a 2017 Chevrolet Tahoe was driven by Francisco J. Galvan Trevino, 51, of San Antonio. He was taken to Hendrick Medical Center in San Angelo with serious / incapacitating injuries.
The other vehicle was a 2020 Ford Edge driven by Marisa B. Ramos, 20, of Plainview. She was pronounced dead at the scene and taken to Winters Funeral Home.
Passengers on the 2020 Ford Edge were:
- Keelie M. Ramos, 12, of Plainview who was transported to Hendrick Medical Center with a critical / incapacitating injury.
- Kolbie R. Ramos, 9, of Plainview who was transported to Hendrick Medical Center with a critical / incapacitating injury.
- Adalynn R. Muniz, 7, of Plainview, was pronounced dead at the scene and taken to Winters Funeral Home.
- Cissy L. Ramos, 46, of Plainview, was pronounced dead at the scene and taken to Winters Funeral Home.
According to the DPS preliminary report, the Chevy Tahoe was traveling east on Highway 153 while the Ford Edge was traveling west. The driver of the Tahoe attempted to overtake several vehicles and hit the Ford head-on, which then caught fire as a result of the collision. The accident is under investigation.