Details revealed in triple kidnapping, assault that ended in standoff in San Angelo

Law enforcement officers in SWAT gear standing behind an armored vehicle respond at the scene of a standoff on 31st Street north of San Angelo on Tuesday, November 9, 2021.

HOLY ANGEL — The court documents detailed the events leading up to a dead end in North San Angelowhich included death threats and the abduction of three women at gunpoint, according to court documents released Monday, January 24, 2022.

On November 9, 2021, area law enforcement converged on an apartment complex on West 31st Street. After about an hour and the intervention of a hostage negotiator, Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office arrested 33-year-old Dwayne Andre Evans Jr., aka Tatum.

Evans was initially arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault on a date/family member and later faced three charges of aggravated kidnapping with a deadly weapon.

Others read: Second arrest made in San Angelo, burglary turned into homicide; new details reveal the plan

An indictment, issued Monday, Jan. 24, 2022, charges Evans with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and three counts of aggravated kidnapping with a deadly weapon. All charges have been increased.

Kidnapping is punishable by 15 to 99 years in prison and assault could be punishable by 5 to 99 years. Those charges were bolstered due to Evans’ prior conviction for aggravated robbery in Runnels County in 2007.

Evans remained in Tom Green County Detention Center in lieu of $75,000 bond. A court date has not been set for 11:15 a.m. Monday, according to prison records online.

Dwayne Andre Evans Jr.

Dwayne Andre Evans Jr.

Details revealed in the triple kidnapping, which began with a dispute between a couple

On Nov. 9, 2021, Evans and a woman he had a “romantic relationship” with got into an argument. Two other women arrived at their apartment on Twohig Ave., and Evans did not let the women leave, holding them at gunpoint, records show.

He forced the women into a vehicle while pointing the gun at his date’s back. He then told one of the women to head for US Highway 87, according to an arrest affidavit.

During the ride, he told his date “You’re going to die today,” records show.

Evans and the date fought over the gun, which fired and shot him. He took her to Shannon Medical Center, where she was treated for two gunshot wounds to her lower leg. She declined to name Evans and he refused to meet with police when they called him, according to court documents.

Law enforcement officers, including Tom Green <a class=County Sheriff‘s Office deputies, respond to the scene of a standoff in this file photo from Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021.” data-src=”–/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTcwNTtoPTQ0OQ–/–~B/aD0xNDAyO3c9MjIwMDthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg–/″/>

Law enforcement officers, including Tom Green County Sheriff’s Office deputies, respond to the scene of a standoff in this file photo from Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021.

Around 1 p.m., investigators found Evans in an apartment complex on West 31st Street. Several law enforcement groups arrived, including SWAT, Sheriff’s Office, San Angelo Police Department, Texas Department of Public Safety, Center for Tactical Medicine, and Tom Green County Constables .

“We tried to contact him,” Sheriff Nick Hanna said. “We knew he was armed. We had information that it was a public safety issue, so we established a perimeter.”

Authorities placed barricades around two blocks of Chadbourne Street. A hostage negotiator convinced Evans to surrender around 2:15 p.m.

“We are pleased that no one, including the suspect, was injured and no shots were fired,” Hanna said in a previous interview.

Alana Edgin is a reporter who covers crime and the courts in West Texas. Send him a topical tip at

This article originally appeared on the San Angelo Standard-Times: Details revealed in arrest of San Angelo man involving triple kidnapping

Comments are closed.